Donate today

Here are some frequently asked questions about Blue Care aged care residences. If you have a question that is not answered here, please contact us on 1800 838 929.

What is an aged care home?

An aged care home is a comfortable, safe and secure residence offering continuous care ranging from help with daily tasks to 24-hour nursing care.

Blue Care’s aged care homes are all approved and accredited by the Australian Government’s strict standards. Click here to find your nearest Blue Care aged care home. We have useful information on our Information Hub as well.

How do I know if I'm eligible for a government subsidised aged care home place?

To be eligible for an aged care home, clients will need to have a free assessment through the Aged Care Assessment Team (ACAT). This is organised by My Aged Care and determines the level of care you need in an aged care home.

Call My Aged Care on 1800 200 422 or visit to discuss your eligibility. Please call our team on 1800 838 929 should you have any questions about aged care homes.

How can I apply to live in a Blue Care aged care home?

  1. Call Blue Care’s aged care home team on 1800 838 929 to discuss your individual needs and organise a site tour.
  2. Call My Aged Care on 1800 200 422 or visit They will discuss your plans and ask you to nominate a preferred aged care provider. By informing them you wish to move in with Blue Care, they can pass your information on to our team.
  3. Arrange an aged care assessment with My Aged Care. Our Information Hub has information on the assessment process. Don’t forget to let the assessment team know you’d like Blue Care to be your service provider.

Please call one of our friendly customer service representatives on 1800 838 929 to discuss our application process.

What legal documentation do I need to move to an aged care home?

To move into a Blue Care aged care home, you will be asked to complete a Resident Agreement and we strongly recommend you appoint an Enduring Power of Attorney (EPOA).

We have developed a fact sheet on appointing an EPOA.

Why do I need an enduring power of attorney?

An Enduring Power of Attorney (EPOA) is a legal document that gives someone the power to make personal, health and/or financial decisions on your behalf should you be in a position of not being able to do it yourself.

Having an EPOA doesn’t mean you can’t receive care services but Blue Care does recommend you have an EPOA in place.

If you have not appointed an EPOA, your next of kin does not necessarily have the responsibility to make decisions for you. If you do not have an EPOA and your ability to make decisions for yourself changes, your family, carer or companion would need to apply to the government in your State or Territory to have one appointed by the Public Trustee. This is a lengthy process and can be stressful for you and your family. By choosing your own EPOA you select who you want to manage your finances.

Please read our fact sheet on EPOA’s here.

What kind of aged care is available?

In Australia there is a variety of aged care options available to you and is often referred to as a ‘spectrum of care’. This means you can receive care either in the comfort of your own home, at an aged care centre, or move into a comfortable aged care home operated by an accredited provider such as Blue Care.

Receiving care doesn’t mean you have to move into an aged care home. You can have some support services that make things a little easier (like cleaning and help with your shopping) or you may wish to have a package of care that will help you get back on your feet after surgery or a short illness.

As your care needs increase, you also have the peace of mind of knowing there is longer term care available – whether in the comfort of your own home or in an aged care home.

Receiving care doesn’t mean you have lost your independence – if anything, it will support you in maintaining your independence and doing the things you love for as long as possible.

Will I still have my room available if I have to go to hospital for a short stay?

Yes, your room will be yours for as long as you need it. Your normal room rate/fee will still apply for the duration of your absence. Blue Care has costs for each of our aged care homes listed on our website. To find a service near you, go to our service finder tool.

Aged care is expensive isn't it?

Not necessarily. Both Blue Care and the Government policies ensure you’re fairly charged. You will be asked to pay towards your accommodation or care costs depending on your financial position. You can find an estimate of what you may expect to pay by going onto the My Aged Care website and using their Residential Care Fee Estimator.

All aged care providers are legally bound to submit their rates to the Australian Government and these rates are displayed on All providers have prices listed on their website.

Why do I need to be assessed to receive aged care services?

Being assessed for aged care services may not always be needed.

The reason you may need to be assessed is to determine the level of care you need in an aged care home, to also see if you are entitled to subsidies from the Australian Government or if you are entitled to a package of care you can receive at home.

Each person is assessed by a qualified assessor, arranged through the My Aged Care team - a Government team that has been established to assist older Australians have access to care and support.

By having an assessment, you will know what kind of care services you may need to help you. To find out more about how assessment works, visit the My Aged Care website.

However, if you’d like to receive some assistance at home as soon as possible while you’re waiting for you assessment, you can contact Blue Care on 1300 258 322 to discuss your needs and pay for services as you need them.

Your doctor or a hospital discharge team can refer you to Blue Care for any urgent care that you need. Click here for information for referrers.

How do I organise an aged care assessment?

You will need to contact My Aged Care on 1800 200 422 or visit to arrange an assessment. The My Aged Care team will ask you some initial questions to determine which assessment team will visit you – for entry level care you will see someone from the Regional Assessment Service (RAS) and for more comprehensive care needs such as long term care or moving into an aged care home, the Aged Care Assessment Team (ACAT) will visit you.

If you are in hospital, your doctor or discharge team can also arrange for an assessment to take place. They can liaise with My Aged Care on your behalf and even arrange for an urgent assessment to take place should it be required.

How long will I have to wait to get an aged care assessment?

There may be a short waiting period for you to receive an aged care assessment. However, if your need is urgent, your Doctor can arrange for an urgent referral to come through to Blue Care so that we can begin to provide you the care you need while you wait for an aged care assessment.

The My Aged Care team will arrange an assessment for you. Call them on 1800 200 422.

When you contact the My Aged Care team, they will provide you with a client number so that all of your care assessment and package details are recorded in one place. Those details are then passed on to an aged care provider, like Blue Care, when your care needs are determined by the assessor.

Do I have to call My Aged Care or can someone else do it?

If you are looking for information about aged care but you don’t feel up to calling My Aged Care, a loved one or friend can call on your behalf. Alternatively, visit their website at

But when it comes to arranging an assessment or making changes to your package of care, you will have to call or arrange for either your Enduring Power of Attorney to call or your doctor (you will still need to provide consent for them to do this for you).

The Blue Care team are also available to help you through the process and we can work with you and My Aged Care to assist in getting services organised. You will be asked by My Aged Care and the assessment team if you have a preferred provider and you can let them know you want Blue Care to provide the services you need.

Our team can also answer any questions you may have. Call them today on 1300 258 322.

My loved one needs care urgently. What's the fastest way to do this?

You can speak to their doctor to get an urgent referral sent to Blue Care – see information for referrers here. That way they can receive the care they need as soon as possible. 

Then you can contact the My Aged Care team on 1800 200 422 or visit to arrange an aged care assessment. The assessment will determine what sort of short term or ongoing care your loved one may need. Plus, this process will also determine if they can receive any government subsidies to assist in paying for care.

You don’t have to wait for the assessment to be done though to receive immediate services. Blue Care is available to assist in getting care quickly. Call our team today on 1300 258 322.

That way, when you speak with My Aged Care or the assessment team, let them know you want to continue receiving services with Blue Care – this will provide you with the peace of mind that your loved one receives continued care without delay.

Do I need to see a financial advisor if I need to move into an aged care home?

It’s always a good idea to get independent financial advice if you’re not sure of your financial position – your bank may have a financial advisor that you can speak to.

There are also various government services and resources that can help you with sound financial advice. You can work out an estimate of what you may expect to pay by going onto the My Aged Care website and using their Residential Care Fee Estimator.

Call our team on 1800 838 929 to help plan for when you or a loved one are ready to move into one of our comfortable aged care homes.

Can I have visitors at my aged care home?

This is your home so we encourage you to have family and friends visit. We do ask though that if you need some quiet time, you let your loved ones know if you’re up for a visit. The team at your aged care home can provide more information about the times you may have visitors.

If I have been told that I am entitled to a Home Care Package. Do I need to use all of the services suggested to me?

No - You have the option to use part of the package or all of it. You can discuss the individual services you’d like to use with Blue Care or you can access all of them. Your Home Care Package Partner can provide support to determine your goals and discuss Blue Care options with you so you can make the most of your package.

As a consumer you have the opportunity to appoint other providers to deliver services. It is up to you but Blue Care is also there to help you with all your care needs. We have an extensive range of products and services, and should you have a requirement that we do not readily provide, we will find the best provider on your behalf.

Water Management Status

05 January 2017

Blue Care takes the safety of residents, staff and volunteers very seriously. As part of this, we undertake regular water testing for Legionella at all of our services.

Water tests conducted at Blue Care Hervey Bay Masters Lodge in December 2016 detected traces of Legionella bacteria.

Upon receipt of the December results, Masters Lodge immediately enacted Blue Care’s Water Quality Risk Management Plan and actions are being taken to remedy the situation including the flushing of taps and sanitisation of the water system.

If you have any questions or require further information please do not hesitate to contact:

Amanda Farrar
General Manager
Blue Care Fraser Coast
(07) 4131 8710