Blue Care began life as the Blue Nursing Service, an outreach initiative of the members of the congregation of the Methodist Mission at West End in inner Brisbane.
The first house call by a 'Blue Nurse' (so named because of the colour of her uniform) was logged on 24 August 1953 when Sister Olive Crombie travelled by tram to tend to a patient.
There was no doubting the degree of demand within the community for what the Blue Nursing Service was able to offer. The organisation rapidly expanded and diversified its capabilities to meet those needs. As community needs grew so did the Service, and it rapidly expanded across the State.
In 1977, with the union of the Presbyterian and Methodist Churches, the Blue Nursing Service came under the banner of the Uniting Church in Australia, Queensland Synod.
In 1999, the organisation adopted a new name, 'Blue Care', to better reflect the many services now provided.
The name 'Blue Care' was chosen to retain some of that identity but also reflect the diversity of compassionate caring services offered by the organisation.
Blue Care is committed to the provision of services across communities irrespective of class, colour or creed.